I made a PDF of a Finale file on my PC using CutePDF. Then I eMailed it to
someone who uses a Mac. They said it looked unreadable, like hieroglyphics,
*except* for the lyrics. It so happens I used Arial for the lyrics. The rest
were Finale fonts. This makes me think that the problem is something like the
Mac needing to have all the Finale fonts installed in order for the PDF file to
work properly.

I was under the impression that a PDF file was totally self-contained and that
someone who didn't have Finale could view a PDF. Does a PDF file require the
fonts that are used in the original Finale file to be installed on any computer
being used to view the PDF file?

I was thinking of having the person download and install Finale NotePad on
their Mac in order to get those fonts. Would that work? Of course the whole
reason for my sending them a PDF in the first place was so that they wouldn't
need to download NotePad.