On 10.04.2006 Kim Patrick Clow wrote:
Most of the infomation I have read, seems to place a lot of the Albinoni losses
at Dresden. Why or how the manuscripts ended there, I don't know. I read that
almost 40 Vivaldi violin concerti were destroyed in Dresden, and they were only
sources. But Vivaldi's pupil Pisendel was in Dresden, so that explains that
connection. Unsure why Albinoni would have had such a presence in
library/archives.

That wasn't my question. I know that most of Albinoni's losses are placed in Dresden. But Most of Heinichen's stuff was, too, and that was, to my knowledge, lost in the 18th century, when Frederick the Great invaded Dresden. A lot of music burnt at that time. I don't know the details, but I would assume that Albinoni's losses suffered the same fate.

That would also explain why no catalogue exists today.

I am sure you can find more info in the infamous Musica Antiqua CD of Heinichen concerti. In this case only the material survives which was sent outside of Dresden or published, which was, by the king's order, incomplete. Again, I am not well-informed on all of this, but that's what I remember.

Otherwise I only know of water-damage from the war and after, but not of war losses in Dresden. That doesn't mean there weren't any. But was the content not taken elsewhere during the war, like it was in Berlin? Some parts of the Berlin library collection still haven't returned, like the enormous collection in Krakow, which includes some of the most important Bach manuscripts.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de