David W. Fenton wrote:

On 11 Apr 2006 at 15:02, John Howell wrote:

At 9:11 AM -0400 4/11/06, Gerald Berg wrote:

For those not in the know.

A double double refers to double cream and double sugar in one's
coffee.  I think it may be an eastern Canadian thing.  I never heard
it said on the west coast.  One thing is definitely Ontario is the
call for a 'regular' coffee -- which means one cream and one sugar.
Go figure.

Actually that's a New Yorkism.  Perhaps Boston and other places in the
NE as well, but definitely NYC, and has been since at least the 1940s.

I've lived in NYC since 1988, with the exception of the 1992-93, which I spent in Germany and Austria, and I've never heard the expression even once.

There's quite a bit of variety in even the standard definitions. In some parts of Manhattan a "regular coffee" includes cream and sugar, in others, just the cream. This was quite frustrating to me, having gotten used to ordering "regular coffee" and getting no sugar from coffee shops around NYU, then going to other parts of town and ending up with sickly sweet cups of coffee. So, now I ask for "small coffee with mile, NO SUGAR!" and about 1 out of 10 times, they put sugar in it, anyway (they don't listen).

How's that for a petty rant? :)

I've never understood how coffee with milk ever came to be known as "regular" in the first place, sugar or not.

--
David H. Bailey