Johannes Gebauer wrote:

On 11.04.2006 Darcy James Argue wrote:

It's actually easier to get young people unfamiliar with classical music interested in the work of living composers than dead ones, which is only natural since (as Dennis says) they also gravitate towards living authors, living directors, living photographers, etc.

I seriously doubt this theory, as far as non-pop, art music is concerned.

Johannes

I'm with Darcy oin this. I have seen and heard high schoolers go nuts over works by living composers far more than older works. Michael Daugherty, Schwantner, others, (I'll also throw in Ives - specifically "Fourth of July, " which sounded brand new to them on orchestra ed concerts, but somehow that doesn't get into the heads of the front office.
RBH
Louisville Orchestra