On Apr 12, 2006, at 7:49 AM, Greg Scheer wrote:

. Does anyone have recommendations about
fonts (Engraver? Maestro? Word typefaces?), settings or libraries that would
help me get a better looking score faster?

Maestro is definitely the concensus favorite, but all my publications use Engraver. I find it beautiful and wonderfully clear. Most importantly, it is the most legible music font I have ever encountered, and that does it for me.

 Andrew, before I start changing settings, what
are the settings below going to do?

Stems/Shortened Stem Length: set to 72

If you take, say, an E at the bottom of the treble staff and flip it so the stem points downwards, you will see that it is shorter than it would be if the note were not flipped. About 7 or 8 years ago there was a big discussion about this on the list. There was broad agreement that Finale's default short-stem was too short, but disagreement as to how long it ought to be--70%? 80%? 100%? 72 was a widely favored solution, so I tried it, found the results both attractive and effective (the shortened stem must *look* shorter at a casual glance, but not so short as to make the music look crushed). At any rate the default 60% is shorter than anything you'll see in hand-engraved music.

Lines & Curves/PostScript Options: Underline Depth -5, Underline
Thickness 1 (these two defaults may have been corrected in Finale 2K6)

The default settings (at least in Finales 2K-2K4) result in underlines that overlap the bottoms of the letters, and are hairline thin. In older versions of Finale, these same default numbers produced a much more normal looking underline, but Coda (as it then was) forgot to change the numbers when Finale's PostScript engine was changed around 3.5 or something like that. My proposed settings restore the original appearance.

Smart Shape menu/Smart Shape Options/Hook Length: 24

Several of the smart shapes contain straight lines w. a hook at the end. Finale's default hook length is 12 EVPU, wh. is OK, but I prefer a longer hook as being more legible and unambiguous.

--Andrew

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/