On Apr 12, 2006, at 3:51 PM, Chuck Israels wrote:

A few days ago I spilled sugared coffee on my keyboard and rendered many keys sticky - a mess. I used this as an excuse to try a new one - a Macally iceKEY. It has short throw, scissor switch based keys - like a laptop keyboard. They don't stick at all, and I find it good for what I like to feel under my fingers. I know, I am an unrepentant gadget whore (maybe gadget John is more apropos), but this one seems to be quite good.

I wish I had gotten an IceKey. Someone convinced me that the standard Apple extended would be fine, so I got that instead. The old Apple Extended keyboard from way back when was an excellent keyboard, but the current one is crap.

But thanks for the reminder. My girl just got a MacBook and she'll probably want an external keyboard. Maybe I can get an IceKey forme and give her mine as a hand-me-down. Most people aren't as fussy about keyboards as I am.

The keyboard on the laptop itself is great ... except for the fact that you can't pull it away from the screen and it doesn't have a separate number pad. But the keys themselves have a wonderful touch.

mdl