Title: Re: [Finale] Multimovement pieces, one file or several? Options or  disadvantages?
One other way that I’ve done the redisplay of full voice names, (which really is a pain and there should absolutely be an easier way to deal with this), is instead of creating a staff style for each instrument, just creating one staff style that deselects show staff name. Then I create expressions that place the full voice name exactly where I want it in relation to the staff. Then all I have to do is duplicate that text _expression_ a lot and retype the instrument name for each instrument. I find you can generally even use the same positioning numbers that you probably defined when you set your voice name positioning in the first place from within the _expression_ positioning options. It’s definitely not a great solution, but I find it a little easier than having all those staff styles floating around. Either way, you’ve got a lot of something floating around that you really shouldn’t have to do.

-Scot Hanna-Weir

On 4/20/06 9:20 AM, "Robert Patterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So far, the comments on this thread have glossed over one of the annoyances of
> combining movements into a single file: abbreviated staff names. For a large
> instrumentation it is *really* annoying.
>
> To get full instrument names at the beginning of movements after the first,
> you have to override each instrument name with a staff style whose
> "abbreviated" staff name is actually the full staff name. For a large
> instrumentation this is a true pain in the patootie.
>
> Even so, I think combining is the way to go, but I recommend complaining to MM
> about the lack of a way to turn Full Names back on for a particular bar. I
> have a feeling that now might be a really good time to send this complaint,
> too.
>
> Another step I haven't noticed mentioned is the need to set "Hide Cautionary
> Keys and Clefs" in the last bar of each movement. This setting has a small
> glitch (at least as of Fin05) that if the extracted part ends on a multimeas
> rest, you have to set the bit on the first bar of the multimeas rest. When I
> reported this problem to MM, I was astounded to be told that this was how it
> ought to work. One reason I've quit reporting bugs to them.

Scot Hanna-Weir
Music Engraver
A-R Editions, Inc.
Middleton, WI