On Apr 26, 2006, at 9:13 AM, Kim Patrick Clow wrote:

I know someone who uses Sibelius and they sent me a PDF of a file. Instantly the minute the PDF opened on my screen, the quality was noticeably better than any PDF I have created with Finale.

Are there some settings that I don't know about to make the absolutely sharpest, clearest PDF possible. Or is something that Finale doesn't handle well?  For example online there is this: http://www.utorpheus.com/misc/pagine_musica/tib011.pdf and I've posted a screenshot of my friend's Sibelius PDF at http://www.bytenet.net/kpclow/finale/sample-sib.bmp

Here's a sample of my PDF @ http://www.bytenet.net/kpclow/finale/sample.pdf I used the highest setting possible (Printer's quality) and I upped the DPI to 2400. Still not as good as this Molter sample, or the Sibelius. My beams seem very ragged, no matter how much you zoom in. And I noticed that Finale's staff lines seem too thick. And some of the articulations and words have a splotchy look.

This is very frustrating for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are a few inconsistencies here.

In your sample.pdf I saw no words or articulations at all, so I couldn't comment. But everything else, including lines, beams, slurs, and bar numbers, stayed nice and smooth right up to the highest zoom, as it should. PDFs are supposed to NOT use bitmaps, which get jaggy at high zoom; they are supposed to use little equations to draw lines and so do not lose resolution no matter how they are resized. I did notice that the stems on flagged eighths seem to have alignment issues with the flag, and you have not corrected Finale's mistreatment of slanted beams so there are little white wedges with staff lines (Patterson Beams plugin corrects this last one) but everything else is fine. Are you sure this is a PDF issue, and not a screen viewing issue on your computer? Compare printouts of your PDF files with printouts of the original Finale file to be sure you are comparing apples to apples. Antialiasing can put little grey borders around curved objects on screen which could account for the splotchy look you mention, but that doesn't print out usually.

(One thing that doesn't concern you, but Apple's Preview app shows lines and beams in your file as grey instead of black onscreen. They show up correctly in Adobe Reader 7, so it is obviously a Preview issue. I see this all the time with Finale PDFs viewed in Preview that come from PC computers.)

Your friend's sample-sib.bmp IS a bitmap, and so automatically gets jaggy when zoomed. Just on screen, I saw some bad stem-notehead connections and the right-most barline appears badly aligned, though that could be cropping. I would have to see the original PDF to make a proper comparison.

The tib011.pdf looks fine - no flag end issues and hardly any slanted beams so I couldn't comment on the wedges. He seems to have set his barlines to be about twice as thick as his stems and staff lines, which doesn't seem to be consistent with publication practice. I don't know as much about this, but I think the usual idea is to have stems thinner than barlines, which are in turn thinner than staff lines by a small amount, though I see a lot of different opinions on this.

If you don't like your line thicknesses, they are easy to set in Document Options>Lines. I notice your stems, staff lines and barlines all seem to be set the same, which I think is the Finale default, but they are easy to change. I find good-looking line thickness depends on the size of staff you are using, so I hesitate to offer any exact suggestions since you are almost certainly using different staff heights than I am.

Christopher