On May 1, 2006, at 9:39 AM, A-NO-NE Music wrote:

Christopher Smith / 2006/04/30 / 03:47 PM wrote:

it really gets interesting with composers such as late
Duke, Gil Evans, Clare Fischer, Bob Brookmeyer and Maria Schneider.

Hmmmmm.....
It always puzzles me when George Russell isn't mentioned among them.
When we play in Europe, we usually make sold out shows with great
reviews, but never on this continent.

Nothing personal, Christopher, of course :-)

Well, George is an important and influential composer for sure, but I never knew his harmony was noted for being linear. I always enjoyed his mixed-modes approach to harmony and his layered counterpoint, which is not quite the same thing, though of course it is great-sounding and well-established.

Please correct me if I am wrong, as I am far from an expert on his music. I would be happy to include his name in my usual lists from now on!

Christopher