I guess that's the answer, and creates another entry from me on the list
of improvements.  I've certainly had situations where I'd have found
things easier if I could apply staff styles *before* entering notes.

However, this is because of the nonsense with stem connections on
alternate notehead fonts, and so maybe is one problem created by
another...