On 10.05.2006 Kim Patrick Clow wrote:
Let's say you have a score.
But there are two possible ways of reading some measures
and you want to include the alternative one above what you have but in a
smaller format.
 How would you go about doing this?
And if you do this to the score, and go to extract parts
will this alternative measure get placed correctly on the parts page?
And you just want a single measure above what you have, the one with the
"alternate" notes, not an entire line.

It's called an Ossia, and Finale does actually have an Ossia Tool. However, it is somewhat limited, but does provide a few things no other workaround can do.

My solution in the past has been to superimpose an empty ossia measure and an exported EPS graphic, to get exactly what I need.

Read the section on the Ossia tool. I am not sure whether this will work for part extraction.

Personally I prefer to use footnotes. I prepare them by doing the ossia in a separate file, exporting as EPS graphic and importing as a page graphic. Parts will have to be treated seperately.

BTW, the Finale graphical index could have lead you to the right name and tool.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de