On 10.05.2006 David W. Fenton wrote:

I can't recall an edition with square brackets on accidentals that didn't look terrible (I'm thinking of a particular A-R Edition, in fact, one that is horridly engraved, in my opinion).

Henle uses square brackets quite a lot. They look ok to me. Not sure whether Bärenreiter avoids them alltogether, and I am not at home right now, so can't check. Doesn't the NMA use square brackets?

> It's not because the source doesn't use parentheses that a modern
> edition might not want both (cautionary) accidentals and [editorial]
> accidentals.

While I'm all for being as clear as possible about editorial intervention, I don't see that this is the way to go. It seems way too fussy to me, while using parens for all accidentals not found in the original (courtesy or editorial doesn't matter -- they are unambiguously implied in the original, so really, I see them all as courtesy accidentals) and accidentals above the note for editorial suggestions seems to me to maintain the same distinction you're trying to implement with round and square brackets. I can't recall very many editions that I've seen that use inline square brackets for editorial accidental suggestions, and I just think it's not going to be clear at all. I see no reason to go beyond the "ficta" practice for editorial suggestions for accidentals. One reason for that is that putting them inline basically makes them obligatory, while putting them above means they will likely be omitted until the performer has studied the score (and decided whether or not to incorporate the suggested accidental).

Well, one Henle practice is to use () for items which are different in the primary sources (they take one source [autograph] as the non-bracketed text source, and another, perhaps equally important source [first edition] and add anything that is additional in round brackets). Anything in [] square brackets is completely editorial and does not appear in any of the primary source.

I agree that this can get out of hand, if the sources differ a lot and a lot has to be added by the editor. But for occasional differences and few editorial additions this can be an extremely efficient way to show the source situation without having to send everyone to read lengthy editorial commentaries.

Personally in anything but ficta music I dislike editorial accidentals above the note. In 18th century and later music there are no cases where this ambiguity could be intentional, it's either an error or not, composers did not leave this to the performer. So if I as the editor see no ambiguity in what is meant I can add the accidental in brackets, as long as it is clear that it wasn't in any of my sources. Brackets are a very efficient way to do that. Smaller accidentals can be ok, too, but are completely inappropriate for orchestral parts - for readability reasons. Since I like to be as systematic as possible through every edition I make, I stick with brackets, both round and square. Round for the first step of removal from the primary source, square for the second step.

Johannes

--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de