Not the era you asked for but try these two:

Opening of the Variations on a Theme by Haydn (Brahms)
Coda of the Finale to the Mendelssohn Scottish Symphony  (#3)

Richard  Smith
www.rgsmithmusic.com

Mark D Lew wrote:
I want to tap the collective knowledge of the List for a personal project. As a few of you know, I'm getting married in two weeks. In spite of my usual advocacy of live music, from the days when I too was a professional musician, we're going with recorded music. One thing we haven't found yet is the right piece for processional music.

Ericka loves the well-known Pachelbel canon in D. Objectively, I too think it's a great piece, and it suits our needs in almost every respect. The one problem is that I've heard it so many times that for me it carries of a connotation of generic wedding ritual, which is (1) not a really positive feeling for me and (2) something I would never be able to personally connect to and think of as really "ours".

So in brief, we're looking something that has the essential qualities of the Pachelbel canon but which is obscure enough that thousands of other couples haven't already discovered it. If you have some favorite piece that you've always felt would be a perfect wedding processional, I'm inviting you to recommend it.

It can't, however, be *too* obscure. The chosen piece has to be something we can get on a digital recording, and it needs to be something we can listen to before buying. My standard strategy is to borrow CDs from the public library for auditioning, but for those out there who like to send clips, I promise not to complain if you fill up my email inbox with binaries for this purpose.

Other possibly pertinent information:

* Aside from basic structural features (tempo, etc), what most appeals about the Pachelbel canon is the sense of quiet joy that wells up in it. As a counter-example, one of the also-ran candidates, Bach's Air on a G String, had the right pace and general mood but was deemed to be too solemn and introspective and not celebratory enough.

* I'm basically thinking in terms of the 1650-1750 era, with some sort of standard chamber music instrumentation, but I'm not stuck on that, if some other era or style can accomplish the same goals.

* The wedding will be outside, in a lovely garden-like setting. There will be about 70 guests, including lots of young children. Our procession will be non-standard, with bride and groom entering simultaneously from different directions and meeting in the middle.

thanks
mdl