At 10:38 AM -0700 5/16/06, Chuck Israels wrote:
I have heard two opinions about articulations in keyboard parts with similar music in both hands: If they appear in the RH, it is assumed that the LH articulations are the same (my usual practice); and - put them in both hands.

What is normal professional engraving practice?

Thanks,

Chuck

Can't answer your question directly, especially since I'm not a keyboardist, but doesn't this fall into the same category as *assuming* that an accidental in one octave applies to all octave of that note in a given measure? The problem arises when the accidental does NOT apply in other octaves, and in the case of articulations it arises when the same articulation is NOT wanted in both hands. In both cases, it seems that giving more information to the player is better than giving less information, just as a general principle.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music