At Andrew's request, I'm forwarding this message he's having a problem getting through to the list.

David H. Bailey

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Do me a favor?
Date:   Sun, 28 May 2006 20:37:54 -0400
From:   Andrew Levin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

David,

I'm wanting to respond to a certain post on FinaleList but something is
mucking the process. Rather than deal with it on a Sunday night, could I
have you send this on for me? Thanks.

Andrew Levin

-------

Subject: Re: [Finale] Layout for ABA form

Hey, everyone,

Don't any of you play Strauss waltzes? This kind of thing happens all of
the time. What you see is:

          |  1.         ||  Fine          ||                         ||

A                                             B

                                                                  DC

Sorry if that doesn't look good on your screen. This is what I mean:

The top line is the endings. The first ending is marked "1." and the
second ending is marked "Fine." So this is how it works:

1.
Fine

The only thing confusing is jumping past the Fine ending the first time
you get there, saving it for the last time. But this is common practice
with Strauss waltzes (as far as I've seen and played). I'm not saying
it's not confusing, but it's what orchestra musicians are used to reading.

One other thing can make it a little more challenging to read, and
that's having a 1., 2., then the Fine ending. But as soon as you figure
it out it's fine (pun intended).

Andrew Levin

--
David H. Bailey