On 2 Jun 2006 at 18:37, Christopher Smith wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2006, at 5:39 PM, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

> >> Toggling from scroll to page view has been wired to Ctrl-E as long
> >> as I've been using Finale. Perhaps this is a change to on the Mac
> >> side to bring it into harmony with keyboard shortcuts that Windows
> >> users have had since, oh, say, 1990?
> >
> > I think the reason it was changed was that the original shortcut on
> > the Mac (which quite possibly predates FinWin) was then made an OS X
> > System shortcut. I believe it used to be command-<, which is now the
> > system wide shortcut for bringing the next window to the front.
>
> Close, but used to be cmd ~.
>
> Maybe on non-US keyboard maps it was cmd <.

Was there something incredibly intuitive about either of those
shortcuts that made them somehow superior to Ctrl-E? That was the
original point, was it not, that Ctrl-E would be more intuitive for
some function whose name began with E, so one would think that the
command it replaced must have somehow had some intuitive connection
with toggling scroll/page view.

At least, I'd think that would be the logical implication of the
argument as it was made by the original complainant.