On Jun 9, 2006, at 9:13 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I have received this question from my composer colleague with whom I work on engraving projects with.  I can only pass along his own description of the problem because he is using Finale 2006 and I have not yet been able to upgrade from 2003.  Apparently, he has a couple of quarter rests that have left their measures and migrated to a couple of weird spots on the page.  On one particular page (in page view) he has a rest between two percussion staves, and a second one showing up well over on the desktop (as he has a widescreen monitor).  He says he cannot attack these rests with the special tools because he can never get a handle for either rest.  What's really too bad is that he has this whole score exactly as he wants it, excepting these two rests, and he's at the point where he'd rather white them out rather than risk damaging his entire layout.  Has anyone had something similar happen to them, or does anyone have any ideas about how to go about search-and-destroying these rests?

I have seen this a couple of times, though not with a rest. Sometimes a random character shows up on the page, probably a symptom of mild corruption in the file. With me it has been a solid notehead in the middle of a slur, or a comma (breath mark) at a random place. The selection tool should be able to select it (because the random character might be associated with almost any tool), then delete it and you can re-enter any items that disappear along with it.

If it IS a real rest that has simply gone way off, then opening up the measure in Speedy Entry, lining up the cursor at the correct beat in the correct layer and hitting * (asterisk) should bring it home again.

If things are really bad, then clearing and re-entering the measure might work.

For case of VERY bad corruption (I have had this before) sometimes you have to copy the contents to a new, blank document. This, of course, is a last resort, and even then doesn't always work, as sometimes the corrupted information is copied over to the new document.

Obviously, only carry out these operations on a COPY of the file, so that any messes you make can be safely trashed without losing your work.

Christopher