My HS buddy (from the School of Performing Arts - NYC class of '54), Tony Mordente, a great dancer, later asst. to Jerome Robbins and now Hollywood TV director, delivered that line in the show. He's also the guy that comes leapfrogging at the screen during the title sequence in the movie version. Just gossip, but what the hell.

Chuck