Christopher Smith wrote:

On Jun 23, 2006, at 5:16 PM, John Howell wrote:

At 4:42 PM -0400 6/23/06, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
In a message dated 6/23/06 3:27:17 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

1. The only modern contrabass trombone I've EVER heard of is in BB-flat, though some today add an F trigger. Both of these are an octave lower than
the tenor-bass instrument used today, regardless of its boresize.

Actually, Mirafone makes one that is pitched in F.

Gentlemen, we are arguing semantics, and my only concern is with sound.

Actually, nomenclature is very important when specifying instruments for a score, which is what we all do here.

So yes, it is helpful to know what instrument will be used when we specify bass trombone or contrabass trombone.

But even if we use the nomenclature that we think is clear, we still don't know what instrument will be used when we specify bass trombone or contrabass trombone.

Many people play bass trombone parts on large-bore tenor trombones with f-attachments, while many others play them on trombones with F and D attachments (did I get that second one right?) which have larger bores and give a fatter sound.

But specifying Bass Trombone only guarantees that you might get an instrument with an F-attachment -- I've even seen those parts played on obvious tenor trombones even without particularly large bores but with F attachments to enable them to get the lower notes. Not great tone, but the pitches were there. Not the sound the composer had in mind, I'm sure.

Specify contrabass trombone and you may get a tuba playing the part. The musicians playing the parts will determine what instrument plays that part, not the nomenclature we put on it.

--
David H. Bailey