On Jun 23, 2006, at 1:23 PM, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

"Once we cycle back out of these conservative artistic times and experiment once becomes part of the composer's attitude, the software situation (and
codification dilemma) may improve -- or, as I suggested above, it may
result in further stratification of composers into a collaborative class
and a rejectionist class."

I don't think this "cycling back out" is likely any time soon. Historically, the norm for notation is a very gradual evolution based on changing understanding of what notations mean. Periods of frank experimentation come along only about once every 300 years, and seldom last very long.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/