Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

At 05:46 PM 6/24/06 -0700, Carl Dershem wrote:

And there's always the possibility that because of the current shrinking of the world through technology, that it will take a while for everyone to catch up to the status quo. AT present, a lot of people in "third-world" countries are catching up to 'modern' notation and sonality and the like, and learning what those of us in western Europe and north America take for granted. A question is: Once that is done, what will those new voices add that we haven't really considered before?

Thanks for that excellent consideration of the topic. We have shoehorned
many of these non-European musics into western notation, and there are
working notations (such as Javanese gamelan and Indian carnatic) that don't
fit well at all, and elementary modular transcriptions of African music
plus what I think of as a kind of Esperanto of African music notation,
Greenotation.

Very good point indeed. Now when will Finale support these? :)

Dennis

Not in 2007.  :)

cd
--