On Jun 29, 2006, at 4:11 PM, Owain Sutton wrote:
 Do the exponential calculations of
how many different pieces would be needed to cover every possibility,
and still tell me it may be assumed that they all existed!

No, you're right. I imagine Attaignant and the others made the special blocks as needed, and once created had them on hand for any future recurrence. Sort of like the F# horn crooks for the _Farewell_ Symphony.

Anyway, my central point still stands: printers--or at least this one, major, printer--had the ability and willingness to produce ligatures when called upon to do so.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/