Thanks for advice- and jogging the memory!

Reminds me of the time on Eastbourne Bandstand- in 1957 (I think!) Bands of Royal Corps of Signals.

Our timpanist was frantically tuning his timps for “Lawrence”- and completely missed the “Boss” (LtCol John L Judd) announcing that we would be playing Lilac Time instead of the programmed Lawrence! A request from the audience!

Oops! Baton down for a soft Schubert opening- and in belts Gus Wilkinson with that infamous fff flourish!

Well- we did actually stop and explain to the bemused audience- but from then on every time we did Lilac Time the Boss ALWAYS checked with Gus!

He never lived it down- and at a Band reunion a couple of years ago (2003 I think- sadly I wasn’t there!) they set the whole thing up again. Everyone there- including people who joined the band 40 years later knew all about it! Of such things are lifetime memories made!

I sadly announced to my band that at the end of this year I will hang up my baton! Much gnashing of teeth etc- but- after 30 years I’ll let some younger bloke bear the burden.

Keep happy,

Cheers K in OZ

Keith Helgesen.

Director of Music, Canberra City Band.