On 7/18/06 1:00 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> So, here (finally) is my question - what do you think
> are the best melodies out there, that I can use as
> examples of successful melodies for my students?
> (These can be from any genre - classical, jazz, pop,
> etc.)  Also, for those of you who DO compose (I
> don't), do you have any suggestions for marrying a
> melody with the chord progression?  It's boring if it
> matches too closely, and it can be jarring if it
> doesn't match at all (yes, I know about polytonality -
> we don't need to go there, yet) - so what do you think
> is a good balance?  Do you start with chords and then
> go to the melody, or vice versa, or both (or neither)?

Look at the free download of a cross-platform program called Impromptu.
Here is the website:
http://www.tuneblocks.com/impromptu.jsp

This was developed by Jeanne Bamberger for use at MIT as well as Boston area
schools, in conjunction with her book Developing Musical Intuitions.  Part
of the book is free for download on the site.

The first section of the book is the VERY best way I have ever seen at
getting people with no background in music to understand melody, musical
structure, and composition generally.  It works well for young musicians
also.

She goes on with excellent sections dealing with harmony, rhythm,
counterpoint.  I've tried it in classes for non-musicians, and not only do
they love it, they also learn an amazing amount, and produce some remarkable
things.

It is very hands-on.  People learn by doing.  And she creates an environment
where non musicians can really make music by making intelligent decisions,
based on structural considerations.  It sounds far-fetched, but it really is
not.

The program is free, and parts of the book are also free.  Take a look.
You'll be very impressed, and your students will have a wonderful time.

David Froom