I have been updating a piece from FinMac 3.5 to 2K4, and have run into a problem. The piece is a song cycle in which each song is in a different file. I had noticed that all the files open rather sluggishly: it takes a second or two for the notes to appear after the staff does. This one file, however (the 8th of 9) will not open at all. When I double-click it, the staff, clefs, meter appear, and the first couple of bars of notes, but then nothing but the Spinning Beach Ball of Death. This hangs the entire computer and I have to force a reboot w. the power button.

The funny thing is that I did manage to open it, once. It opened very sluggishly then, and I started the update procedure (Page Setup settings, a font substitution), and these too proceeded very sluggishly. Then, before I had saved anything, the computer decided it had to go on line (why this happens I have no idea), the file vanished from my screen, and Finale became unwilling to open any other. A simple restart brought Finale back to normal, but the behavior of the one bum file has ever since been as described in the previous paragraph.

The file's info panel (or whatever it's called) showed no change in its condition after the initial disaster, so after one round w. the SBBOD I went into Classic mode and updated the file from 3.5 to 2K2, hoping that would leapfrog whatever the problem might be. During this procedure 2K2 had no trouble at all opening the file, which displayed no sluggishness whatsoever. I saved the file in 2K2, then went back to OSX.3 and FinMac 2K4. No joy: the file still behaves as described in my first paragraph. Finale behaves beautifully w. all other files, so the problem is clearly in the file itself. How do I either get the thing to open or get the data out of it into a new file?

FWIMBW, I possess copies of both ResEdit and HexEdit (both OS 9). If either of these will be of use, please give me very precise instructions what to do, because I hardly ever use these tools and am frankly scared to death of them.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://home.netcom.com/~kallisti/