At 10:54 PM +0200 7/24/06, Johannes Gebauer wrote:
On 23.07.2006 John Howell wrote:
For Italian ornamentation, study the way Corelli ornamented his adagios, and compare the written notes with the ornamented version.

To be honest, and knowing this is going to cause a long discussion, I seriously doubt that those ornamentations are in fact Corelli's.

While you're absolutely correct about their being questionable, they were certainly published as Corelli's, and therefore must at the least conform with what would have been expected at the time. (I have often wondered whom John Walsh found who could take those flurries of notes down during a live performance!!!) And certainly Bach reflects that KIND of ornamentation in e.g. the opening movement of the G minor solo sonata (or partita) ohne bass. What makes the Bach fascinating is the way he effortlessly combined French and Italian ornamentation in the same piece.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music