On Jul 27, 2006, at 7:12 AM, dhbailey wrote:

A properly recorded musical work should sound no different in the mixing room than it does from the podium.

Change "from the podium" to "from the best seat in the house" and I would agree with you to the limited extent of acoustically-performed music. In fact, perhaps there is a hypothetical "best seat" that has much better sound than a REAL seat would ever get; I would like THAT sound on my recording! I think you mentioned a stereo pair of mics about 30 feet back and raised - this comes close to approximating the hypothetical best seat in many cases.

I don't happen to think that the conductor actually gets the best balance and tone from an orchestra, as he is much too close to the strings, particularly the front desks, and most good conductors balance orchestras with this in mind.

I have a constantly frustrating experience with a big band run by the first alto player. Every recording is balanced from the point of view of this player (who supervises the mixdown), so that the band sounds as the balance appears from the lead alto chair. Needless to say, this band is having problems getting a good sound on recordings.

Christopher