It seems that Video Card/Display adapter reviewers assume (without providing
evidence that I can find) that 2D performance is acceptable on all adapters
from 2003 on. Adobe says that "...hardware, operating system settings, and
software settings...(and a) damaged font."

Doing stuff other than gaming or viewing such editing, manipulating, and
saving images is essetially ignored in the reviews I have found. It is
likely that GPU/CPU tradeoff occurs in these tasks ignored by reviewers but
central to this thread and the tasks that most of us perform.

1. 2006 Q&A to the point: "Topic Title: What matters in a video card for 2D
windows acceleration?"
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=27&threadid=1908172
refers to Adobe's site:
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331412.html

2. 2004 Article
http://www.a1-electronics.net/Graphics_Cards/Various/2004/Review_Dec04.shtml
"What will you be using it for?
Is perhaps the first question asked. What will the intended use be of your
ATI or Nvidia video card. Will you be mostly working with 2D applications or
3D such as games. If you are only looking to run say 2D office applications
such as Corel WordPerfect, Photoshop and alike then you do not need to buy
an expensive top of the range card but something from the mid-range of ATI
or Nvidia will give you the all the performance you need and more for 2D
work while still giving you acceptable 3D performance."

3. 2002 Article.
The issue may be drivers as in the article linked and quoted below.  "...
it's a real problem. Now that graphics chips are getting the internal
precision to produce some truly stunning images, we'll want to capture that
high-quality output and store it."
http://techreport.com/etc/2002q3/agp-download/index.x?pg=1
"..today's graphics subsystems have gobs of bandwidth, from main memory
(2.1GB/s or greater) to the AGP bus (1GB/s for AGP 4X) to the graphics
card's own internal memory (20GB/s in some cases). Graphics cards can render
hundreds of frames per second for display. But once the frames have been
sent out the RAMDAC to a monitor, standard operating procedure is simply to
discard them.

That's all well and good when all you want to do is play video games, but
for other uses, it's a real problem. Now that graphics chips are getting the
internal precision to produce some truly stunning images, we'll want to
capture that high-quality output and store it. Unfortunately, even the very
newest cards and drivers don't seem to be up to the job. Despite over 1GB
per second of potential bandwidth on the AGP bus, current cards transfer
data back into main memory much, much slower than needed. At least, that was
the claim of more than one person who wrote in response to my article."

Roger