--- Darcy James Argue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> According to this <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> Radeon_9000#Mobility>, the Radeon 9000 Mobility is
> based on the R200
> core, has a fillrate of just 800 MT/s, its clock
> speed is 200 MHz and
> its memory speed is 250 MHz. (I'm assuming you have
> the 9000 and not
> the 9000 Pro). Whereas the X600 Pro is based on a
> more powerful
> chipset (R300 core), has twice the clock speed and
> (from what I can
> tell) 2.4 times the memory speed, and twice the
> fillrate.

No Darcy. It is the 9000 Pro (or at least was
advertised as such by the manufacturer), but the X600
is not the Pro version. As I said before, the memory
speeds reported are very close between the two cards.

> Since you said there was no difference in image
> quality from having
> the graphics acceleration slider down vs. up, it
> sure sounds like
> *something* (badly written driver? Some quirk of
> SmartMusic?) is
> causing a massive and unnecessary slowdown on your
> X600 -- so much so
> that it's getting spanked by a much slower graphics
> card.

I said that I don't see a difference visually, but
considering we're talking about black and white
graphics in PrintMusic/Finale (not SmartMusic), it's a
little hard to conclude that nothing is different.

> If the
> extra work being asked of your X600 is killing
> performance and not
> actually improving image quality, to me that sounds
> like a software
> problem and not a hardware problem, especially if
> the slowdown is
> only in selected applications.

Not if certain enhancements are being applied that
just aren't terribly obvious. And keep in mind that I
said that both cards exhibit a dramatic decrease in
speed. It's just a greater decrease in the case of the
X600 with all features enabled than with the 9000 Pro
with all features enabled. Even with the 9000 Pro the
decrease is going from around 10fps down to about
2fps.

> When I did my own Googling on this, I found lots of
> references to
> people who found that backing off one notch on the
> graphics
> acceleration slider dramatically increased
> performance in selected
> applications. According to these user reports, in
> some cases, an
> update to the application fixed the problem; in
> other cases, an
> updated driver did. I know you have the latest ATI
> drivers, but of
> course that's not to say they are necessarily 100%
> bug-free.

I'm pretty positive that I can try this on just about
any PC and find that there will be a decrease in
performance. We're clearly adding more work for the
GPU. Since my cards are similar in memory speed
performance, and since we've read that this is a key
factor for 2D performance, it's not far-fetched to
guess that any extra work repeated many times over
could be enough to switch things around.

Making guesses at this point is just silly though. The
key test would be to get a hold of a computer that has
a video card with memory that runs at 3 to 4 times the
speed of these cards (which today's best cards have)
and see how it performs with two cards of 2 different
memory speeds.

Tyler