John Howell wrote:
At 6:31 AM -0400 8/28/06, dhbailey wrote:
Chuck Israels wrote:
Hiro,

I am trying to get the "feel" of this, and I keep coming up with and "The....." as sounding right in English. But we do say "Boston University", for whatever reason, as in, "The faculty and students of Boston University...."

But we would say "The Boston University String Quartet" which is what I think the CD producer was suggesting for the Hiro's trio.

Universities may not be the best examples, since a lot of it is pure tradition and has nothing to do with logic. It's "Indiana University," but "The Ohio State University." Tradition. (And there is no "University of Indiana," while "Ohio University" is a liberal arts school in Athens!)

Wow, whenever I tune in to a football game, I never hear "the" in front of "Ohio State University" -- It's always "The buckeyes of Ohio State" or "Ohio State University takes on Purdue in today's NCAA Game of the Week."

But I agree that tradition and not grammar rules the day with this stuff.

And interestingly enough, in looking on CDs, artists are often listed without "the" as in "Emerson String Quartet Plays Debussy String Quartet" but when it's announced on the radio, most of the time I hear "the" used, as in "Now we'll play the String Quartet by Debussy, featuring the Emerson String Quartet."

Maybe that's why there's never been an "English Academy" to try to regulate the language -- it's been too hopeless from the start! :-)

--
David H. Bailey