John Howell wrote:
[snip]>>     - What options are available, other than placing a copyright
notice on
the work, to help restrict the use of this score to the stated intent
      of this artist (consider the piece for performance)?

The copyright notice establishes your ownership of the work. All else follows from that.

One thought I had was to put some sort of watermark, or the like, on several pages of the score. Has anyone done this? Is there some way to do this in
Finale so that it would show up and print out in pdf form?

And this would accomplish what? I don't mean at all to be sarcastic, but I see no advantage to you in any way. Perhaps I don't understand your use of the word "watermark," which is certainly NOT a watermark at all in the historical sense.

These days, in desktop publishing jargon, a watermark is a light graphic which will print and which will appear onscreen. Light enough so it doesn't obscure the black ink but visible enough that it would make it hard to print more copies and pass them off as legitimately purchased copies.

--
David H. Bailey