[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Here's the exact situation which I've just re-created in a new file:
Horn in F part, key of F major, hence key sig of no sharps or flats. In speedy enter an F bottom space and press "s" to sharpen it - result - F double sharp. As far as I can see this only happens on F.

Yep, you're right, that's what happens and that's wierd.

However, it wasn't until your post earlier that I even knew that an S
was supposed to sharp a note -- I've always used the + key to raise an
entered pitch a half-step, and when I use that method, a single + makes
the F into F#.  It takes ++ (2 keypresses) to make it into a double sharp.

I just tried something else as an experiment, hitting F to see if that
would lower a note a half-step, and on the F, nothing happens, but on B,
it does make it into Bb.

Very bizarre, and definitely a lesson to me, that even though I just
learned that 's' and 'f' may be supposed to serve the same function as
'+' and '-' they really don't and I'll continue to avoid them just as if
I had never learned about them.

Maybe you should start using the - and + keys for flats and sharps,
Lawrence, and avoid those headaches.  :-)

--
David H. Bailey