On 30 Sep 2006, at 4:28 PM, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

At 03:47 PM 9/30/06 -0400, Darcy James Argue wrote:
It's just a little smarter about it than Windows -- it knows which
applications can open which file types. If I change the file
extension of a Finale document to ".doc", it will still open in
Finale, not Word. If I change the file extension to ".pdf" it will
still open in Finale, not Acrobat or Preview. And if I change the
extension to ".bak", it will still open in Finale.

Does that mean you cannot force another app to open any file on Mac? Or is
the 'sticky' association more of a convenience?

The latter. I can, for instance, drag my Finale files to TextEdit and force-open them that way.

Also, I noticed that OS X is not quite as smart about this as I thought. Sometimes, changing the file extension to .PDF really will cause Finale files to (try and fail to) open in my PDF reader. I'm not quite sure why this doesn't happen consistently.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]