At 08:19 PM 10/1/06 -0500, you wrote:
>To really have a definitive opinion on this, I should probably ask two
>questions:  What is your printing and binding method; are these being
>printed as booklets, or being printed out as separate pages for external
>binding?  Second, do you have the good fortune of starting the music on
>a right-hand page on any of the scores?

1. Printing to PDF for print shop and download, the former using the
printer driver for making the booklet. (I never print from Finale to paper
except for proofreading.)
2. Everything starts on right-hand side. I used to have a separate
wraparound cover with the music beginning on the first right-hand pages,
but have added a title page and its obverse for notes there. Basically, I'm
going back to rework my scores (in order of my interest) to make them all
consistent.

>The simplest answer will be if you started the music on a right hand
>page; in this case, leave the performance notes where they are, use a
>page offset on that page only to number the page appropriately, and
>alter the printing scheme so that you print the performance notes on the
>proper leaf or page without otherwise changing the file.

Since I am printing to PDF, this would be the same as printing the page
ranges separately and combining the PDFs externally -- but easier. :)

>On the other hand, if the music is on the left hand page

Thank goodness I don't have to follow that procedure.

>Last step:  write a narrative, non-printing text block describing how
>you print the document, and assign the block to the title page.  When
>you next have need to print the document, you'll see the text block on
>the title page describing how to print the document, but the printing
>description will not itself print.

Yes, excellent. I have put in non-printing blocks before, but it never
occurred to me to add descriptions of how to print (or otherwise deal with)
oddness in the file. And I have lots of oddness in files.

Many thanks,
Dennis

--

Please participate in my latest project:
http://maltedmedia.com/waam/