On 02.10.2006 dhbailey wrote:
His statements are only true for people who practice to make it work or who
have excellent keyboard chops.  I don't.

Actually, I am a very poor keyboardist. I respect your decision to not use a MIDI keyboard, however, on the long run I do believe the overall note entry speed without a keyboard can never match the speed with a keyboard, at least after, and I agree on this, some practice, but regardless of any keyboard skills. All you need to do is press one key at the time, with no rhythm or timeframe. That, imho, has nothing to do with keyboard skills. Anyone can learn to do this, and just from a purely physical point of view it can be faster than Speedy with cursor keys can ever be.

However, things are dramatically different if you primarily work with non-tonal music, complicated modern/avantgarde keyboard writing (Speedy is never good at this) or similar very idiomatic styles. I regularly revert to Speedy or Simple without a keyboard to do this.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de