Dear David,

I could not get Special Tools/Beam Adjustment to access any part that had been extracted from a multi-part staff, and beam adjustments are needed. You cannot go back to the score to do the editing, or to a part with both voices, because the beam situation changes as the number of notes on the stem changes from two to one.

This stops me dead in working in this system with multi-part staves.

I also described (or tried to) another uncontrollable situation. On one staff line in a part, a 31 m. MM rest and a one m. pickup (with entries) at the end of the line. Finale will make the 31 m. rest and the one m. spread equally on the line, making the single measure look way too wide. So you drag the bar line and fix it. Fine, if you print right away, but go to another part and return to this one, and take a look. The spacing has sprung back to the default. I understand this to be a result of the fact that you are really messing up the measure proportions in the score, so the manual adjustment cannot be made to hold, or things would be wildly out of proportion in the score. I can't wrap my brain around a way to control this correctly, as long as you are working in linked parts. Maybe I'm overlooking something, but this is forcing me back to extracted parts. (I don't trust myself to see, or want to have to look for, these spacing things and adjust them every time I open a part to print it. If the layout doesn't hold, I can't use the system.)

In terms of overall time spent on Finale, it is probably more efficient for me to duplicate edits in parts and scores, rather than work this way. This is a disappointment to me, since I've been working unrelentingly to learn this for the last two months and feel that I have achieved pretty good control.

Careful what you ask for, you might get it! Well, maybe it's a good idea to have some parts linked and only extract those that have these problems. I haven't wrapped my brain around that one yet.

Chuck