Bob Shuster wrote:
*SO*, what's the advice?  Do I stick with Finale or do the Sibelius crossgrade?  What I have seen of the new Finale - it looks pretty much the same as Finale 98, except with Aqua-looking buttons and a lot of consumer-level features added that I'll never use.  Sibelius on the other hand, looks much slicker and fresher, and I've heard of professionals using it instead of Finale, but all my experience has been with Finale (with C-Lab's Notator sw before that!  Does that date me?!?  :)   )

My comments are from the standpoint of a long time Finale user (v.2) who, today, uses both but primarily Sibelius and prefers Sibelius for most work. I am not the only Sibelus/Finale user on this list.

Finale 2007 is definately NOT the same as Finale 98.
Note entry tools have changed; simple entry is much more like Sibelius since v.2004. Playback quality has been improved and configuration simplified, and linked parts have been added (v.2007 & Sibelius 4). Many new plugins are available. Setting up a new score is much easier than in v. 98. Fonts and other settings have been improved. Those more familiar than I with current Finale will know many more changes. Finale is vastly improved from v.98.

The competetion has been good for both Finale users and Sibelius users. Both apps are very mature and capable of extremely good work.

I suggest you:
  1. Download demos of both programs and investigate first hand.
  2. Visit both Sibelius.com and Makemusic.com
  3. Read my article at: http://www.rgsmithmusic.com/Why_Use_Sibelius.htm
  4. Consider seriously the responses you get from this list.

FYI, I work mainly on a Mac (new MacPro machine pretty much maxed out) alongside of Logic Pro, but I do also still use a Windows XP machine, and could definitely see myself doing my recording on the Mac and notation on PC if necessary, but generally I will use the Mac.  That being said, cross-platform compatibility of whichever app I choose *is* an important feature to me.

Thanks in advance for your input!   - Bob Shuster

Finale is now universal binary as will be the next version of Sibelius. Since I work on a PC, that doesn't matter to me but it may to you. Sibelius is cross platfomr compatable. Mac and PC files are editable on either platform and, I think, you can install to either platform from the same disk. You can maintain a Mac installation on one machine and a PC on another.

Hope this helps
Richard Smith
www.rgsmithmusic.com