Yes, David, I would have a different definition of a sequencer.
I find the MIDI tool to be rather unwieldy in Finale.
My definition of a sequencer would include some kind of editable piano-roll
view as well as the ability to draw controller data using a mouse and edit MIDI
at the event-list level.

The only notation program that approaches being a decent sequence is Overture
4.  It has the piano roll, an on-score MIDI editor, the ability to draw
controller data, and the ability to manipulate MIDI with ease at the individual
note level. It is also a full VST host...ANY VSTi, not just Native Instruments
VSTi.  It can also humanize reasonably well.

All of this is incredibly time-consuming, if not impossible, using the Finale
MIDI tool.

With the advent of things like GPO and other sound libraries of all cost
classes, we ought to also be seeing a movement towards a "total music creation
environment" so it becomes unnecessary to do notation in Finale, then dump into
a sequencer, then interface with the sound library, then burn the CD demo of a
work.  At this point, only Overture approaches this (TO ME) ideal.

I know that the "Notation-Only" people are going to object to this, but that's
where thigs are headed, and there's no law that says notation has to be
compromised in order to gain playback capability. Notation is only compromised
if a software manufacturer CHOOSES to overlook bugs and shortcomings of long
standing...sound like anyone we know?

Jim

On 4 Oct 2006 at 22:12, Williams, Jim wrote:

> No, Finale is not a sequencer, nor is Sibelius...

But you can edit MIDI data and save the file as MIDI. That makes it a
sequencer, seems to me, but maybe you have a different definition of
the term.

--
David W. Fenton                    http://dfenton.com <http://dfenton.com/>