dhbailey wrote:
David W. Fenton wrote:
[snip]

I tried it out in the Finale 2005 demo. It feels a lot like Sibelius's standard keypad entry method.

And that means I HATE IT. I don't think that way about getting the information into Finale, and that's one of the reasons I can't use Sibelius.

It slows me down incredibly to think through which things I want to attach to a note after it's been entered (or before, if you can forecast that). For me (and I said FOR ME), a pass to get notes and rhythms entered is VERY FAST, and then I can go back and entered the articulations/expressions, set beam breaks, stem direction and correct enharmonics. I do all of the latter in a single pass, in fact.

And that's the way I did it in Speedy with no MIDI keyboard. I just don't think in a way that allows me to be constantly switching between so many different kinds of entry. The notes and rhythms come first as a framework for the whole piece, and then the rest of the data is editing or entirely cosmetic.

Perhaps I'm stuck in that mindset because I've been doing it that way for over 15 years.

I'm with you on this point David -- I find that I can fly through note entry and then go back and do the expressions and articulations on a second and third pass and can work very fast.

Every time I have to change something while in the middle of the basic note entry, as has to happen in Simple Entry if one is trying to enter the articulations at the same time as the notes, it really slows my workflow down.

What's terrific about Finale is that there are the two entry methods, simple and speedy.

And speedy is what works best to my mind (for me, I'm not claiming it should be this way for anybody else) which is why I can't work quickly or efficiently in Sibelius.

Just yesterday, my son was staying after school to help a young woman transpose an english horn part so she could play it on her oboe (octave displacement not being a consideration), and they were using the music department computer which has Sibelius on it. They managed to get the english horn part copied just as it was on the page and couldn't figure out how to get it changed for oboe.

so they called me. Now in finale, just a couple of mouse clicks to change the key signature and have the notes transpose upward and they would have been all set in a couple of seconds. In sibelius, nowhere in the manual is there an entry for changing the key signature for music already entered. So I had to fly by the seat of my pants and triple-click to enclose the entire staff, then get three menu levels deep to the tranpose dialogue, and set things in there. took much longer. I realize that some of that was because I had to figure out how to do it without the help of the manual, but now that I know how to do it, it will still take much longer than using Finale's key signature tool.

Why Finale felt they needed to make their note entry mimic Sibelius' is beyond me. But thank goodness they left speedy entry alone!

Whether it's an ingrained pattern of workflow from using Finale for so long I can't tell, but I do know that it took me very little time to convert from MusicPrinterPlus to Finale and it's taken me ages to try to convert to Sibelius and I still can't do it, my mind just doesn't work that way.

Well said, David(s). I think this has much to do with how one thinks and prefers to work with music. I have said for some time that Sibelius thinks like I do. You guys obviously have the same response to Finale (and Speedy Entry). Why change? The software or the method is not the goal, just the tool.

For whatever it's worth, David B., I agree that Finale's transposition method is more direct which is a mild annoyance for me. I often just do the transposition the old fashioned way, transpose the interval and change the key.

Richard Smith
www.rgsmithmusic.com