On 12 Oct 2006 at 8:10, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> At 08:27 PM 10/11/06 -0700, Eric Dannewitz wrote:
> >As both a Windows and Mac user, I'd say never. Cause Windows XP, in
> >my experience, never boots right if you pull a motherboard and try to
> >boot with your old system. And, if it does boot, Windows knows you've
> >changed systems, and you need to re-authenticate it. You basically
> >have to devote hours to reinstalling Windows. Not fun. Not fun at
> >all. Here is a good explanation of the ordeal one would face.
> >http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
>
> Absurd. The only machine I have with XP is a laptop.

Where have you been Dennis? This has been the case since the
introduction of machine-based authorization in WinXP back in 2001 or
2002 (whenever XP came out). The OEM restrictions are not new, they
are just now enforceable for the first time.

> I'm so used to making hardware changes in my desktops that I can't
> imagine going through all this not only with my machine, but with five
> others, all of which have happy and stable Win98SE installations.

I spent some time over the weekend on a Win95 box, and recently spent
quite a bit of time on a Win98 box for a client. I have to say that
Win9x is horrid in comparison to a more modern version of Windows.
There is just no contest at all -- the NT-based versions of Windows
are far, far easier to use and configure and administer.

> As
> it stands now, I yank out whatever part I'm changing, clone a hard
> drive if need be, then delete all the hardware from the device
> manager. So aside from some time spent with a screwdriver, the new
> machine is up and running and I'm back to work within the hour.
>
> But if it's as bad as that website describes with XP, what will it be
> with Vista? This has gotten nuts. The consequences of tethered
> software are far-reaching indeed.

This is not new. And, legally, if you had an OEM Win98 installed on
your PC, you aren't supposed to be moving it to a different PC. Read
the EULA -- it's in there. The only difference with the authorization
is that the EULA is now enforced.

Take it up with Microsoft, whose OEM EULA has always worked this way.
If you don't like that EULA, then don't buy OEM Windows.

[]

> Thanks for that warning, Eric. I hadn't been paying attention at all,
> and though Windows would continue to make hardware upgrading easy,
> even if the software was tethered.

I have never encountered any problems with WinXP authorization
because I don't believe in upgrading hardware. You buy the box to
last for 5 years without upgrade, and you keep it until it has to be
replaced. This is no more expensive than upgrading hardware
components, and is much more productive for my clients (since they
don't have to pay me for the labor of upgrading).