Dennis Bathory-Kitsz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[...]
Yes, aside from the computers, there are five printers, three
scanners, and a bunch of peripherals (such as a slide scanner,
two cameras, a pen tablet, and many external drives) -- many
without Linux drivers.

Yes, that's the problem, especially if you have old products with significant
life ahead of them.  The possible saving is that the Linux community is large,
and includes lots of clever programmers (motivated partly by the wish to save
the world from the horrors of Microsoft) who can advise on the nearest
available driver to what you need and what changes have to be made to fit it
for your purpose.  Also, other people may share your problem already and be in
process of solving it.

[...]

I've been waiting for a Linux version that doesn't make me
worry about network complexities right away.  :)   The networking I use
now is TCP/IP-based with a server, and the Linux test run found
everybody right away. As far as shared drives, I didn't go that far.
It was just a test -- until Eric's email, which snapped my head back
about how unacceptable XP hardware upgrades will be. [...]

Vista looks like being worse.

That still leaves me with 13 years of Windows software that I'm very
fond of using without needing to think about each step, and of course
Finale, Adobe Audition, Pagemaker, Sonar, Photoshop and other
expensive programs that don't come in Linux versions.

I live in hope, either of a Windows emulator on Linux that can provide an
adequate environment for these programs, or (a guess, because I don't know muh
about either OS) of a means of providing a Mac-like environment under Linux.
The latter would be attractive only if we were about to upgrade and could
change versions.  Presumably that would apply to Finale, IIRC that the CD
provided has both Windows and Mac versions.

--
Ken Moore