At 09:24 AM 10/15/06 -0400, Christopher Smith wrote:
>This point has bigger repercussions, IMHO. One of the things that
>bothers me about Finale (and if this bothers me, it must INFURIATE
>engravers like jef!) is that everything in Finale does NOT stay where
>you put it!

Speaking as one who does both traditional and graphical music, I find it
crazy-making.

This goes to the heart of these programs' purposes. The gap between
notation programs and engraving programs will not be bridged for some time.
I'm not saying anything new, just distinguishing the purposes, which really
and truly matter, depending on which side of the musical notation world you
live -- engraving (presentation) or notation (indication).

Rather than talk about program specifics, I'm thinking about how to resolve
two different approaches to software's purposes, at least conceptually.
I've talked about some these things most recently on my blogs of September
25, October 3, 4 and 7 (with examples; blog link in my sig), and wonder if
I might roll some of list members' thoughts into a future entry (especially
since my own approach is very composition-biased).

Engraving, like typography and design, involves judgment that is very
difficult to codify (without even taking into account subsequent
programming). Certain elements reveal these differences in judgment most
obviously, such as ties and slurs and the interplay of complex items. This
is the artistic model of presentation, beyond legibility, and is visual
rather than musical (except for those composers who bind the visual to the
musical). Score, Lilypond and Graphire Music Press and other
engraving-oriented programs are built to function within the graphic model,
and the rest is secondary or absent. Engraving is a fixed world.

Musical notation is the act of committing music to visible form. It
involves translation of musical events (compositional or performing) into
notation, and includes as many tools and techniques as possible to achieve
that goal. Accuracy of intent and legibility of result are critical, and so
audio proofing is important and 'intelligent' music input and output should
be expected. Finale and Sibelius and other notation-oriented programs may
function within both musical and graphical models, but evidence of
compromise is everywhere, and bets are always on notation over engraving.
Notation is a malleable world.

In this adolescent period of music software, no set of programs can act
upon the concepts predicated by the others. Attempts to do it will fail
until a common approach to data is adopted all around, and that data is
detailed and open-ended and respected by the software that uses it. The
competitive model (for now) is acting against a commonality of data, and so
one cannot yet choose a variety of interfaces, sets of manipulation tools,
and output modules. The common formats that exist (such as Midi, XML,
Unicode, etc.) are for now all highly circumscribed and insufficient to the
task.

Two comparisons. The text-editing field also includes book design, and
although one can design a book in MSWord (and I have had to on two
occasions), it is difficult to achieve a superior level of design quality.
It is just a book, legible and (one hopes) correct. Book design programs
(limited by budget, I still use Pagemaker) achieve much finer results with
the typography and presentation, but do not work interchangeably with an
author or editing team. Revised material loses its detailed design features
... but on the other hand, one rarely expects the book designer to be the
author, editor, or copy editor. The highly 'finished' book is the one that
achieves a high quality of design.

The graphics field is also comparatively advanced. Although still limited
at the input end, images can be accepted, manipulated, and output by a
whole range of software. Though proprietary formats exist (such as PSD),
the ability of other programs to work within these formats makes life far
easier than in the music notation realm. When a program's feature set
increases, the resulting manipulations may not be lost, but become fixed
when worked on by other software (or fixed in translation into common
formats). But again, the high finished photo or animation is often brought
to completion in proprietary formats.

At the moment, we are still far from either of these circumstances in music
notation and engraving.

Again, I'd love to have some of the list members' thoughts that I can quote
in a future blog commentary.

Dennis

--

Please participate in my latest project:
http://maltedmedia.com/waam/