I had the same problem after upgrading to 10.4.8 and trying to use the TGTools and Patterson plug-ins. I wasn't sure what was causing the problem, so I ran TechTool Pro (definitely not a free program) and ended up rebuilding the desktop. That did the trick.

I didn't realize that FileBuddy could change bundle bits, which is much easier. I haven't used that program in ages.

-Rich Caldwell