On 18 Oct 2006 at 13:27, Andrew Stiller wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2006, at 12:27 AM, Mark D Lew wrote:
> >
> > There's a very large body of -cular words pulling the pronunciation
> > in that direction, against virtually none that end with a sound like
> > -cle-ar.
>
> This makes me wonder: do people who say nucular  also say nuculus?
> Nuculotide? Enuculated? Nuculons? Nuculic acids?
>
> Just wondering.

Ask Jimmy Carter, who is the only intelligent public figure I've ever
heard using the nucular pronunciation (he was a nuclear engineer in
the Navy, so it's not like he wasn't trained in the field).

The current occupant of the oval office has probably never been
called upon to utter those other words, thankfully.

The one that drives me crazy lately is the morphing of
"proliferation" into "porliferation" (by guess who).