On 18 Oct 2006 at 18:27, Mark D Lew wrote:

> I can tell you from my years as a some-time vocal coach and all-around
> wonk, when you start to talk to singers about sources and editions and
> stuff like that, 90% of them get a glazed-over look in their eyes and
> then reply with something like, "Yeah, ok, whatever. So what are you
> saying? should I slur it or not?"

This is the fault of voice teachers (and coaches!) who don't make an
issue of it. When I was a high school student taking lessons, my
teacher insisted on using the best editions available for all music,
so I became accustomed to good editions with good scholarly apparatus
-- it was just the norm, not something weird or unusual.

Why singers get treated as though they are 3 years old, I don't know.
They are adults when they start serious study, and they are just as
smart in general terms as all other musicians (they are usually
behind on musical training unless they already play an instrument,
but that's because the voice develops so much later than the
capability to play instruments).

Start a revolution!

Teach your students how to use good editions!

Convey to them the fun of being able to look critically at the
editor's choices, and teach them how much more rewarding it is to
make your own decisions. They'll be better musicians for it.