dc wrote:
Here's my problem. I have a certain number of pieces that need a different default whole measure rest (alternating 3/1 and C sections). So what I do, since this is unfortunately impossible in Finale, is use the double whole note rest as default, and add whole note rests where I need them (in the C sections). But, strangely enough, though the rest fills the whole measure, these don't get included in multimeasure rests. I used to delete these rests after extracting the parts. But now, with linked parts, how can I both keep the score right and have my multimeasure rests?

Thanks to those who have read this far and who might have a bright idea.

This might simply be a case where linked score/parts won't work.

I don't know of a workaround, except one that might be too painful to use, which would be to leave the empty measures empty (i.e. don't fill them with those "fake" default whole rests), and then put whatever rest you want in as a text block in each measure needed in each part, since text blocks entered in the parts don't link back to the score.

Or you could try simply using your default whole-rest for the entire work and see what comments you get.

I've never understood the need for a different whole-rest for empty measures in meters larger than 4/4. We have no problem using them in meters smaller than 4/4, so why not just keep the traditional whole-rest for all meters? It's painfully obvious that that's the only thing in the measure, so anybody who can't keep their place through a single measure of 3/1 meter with a single whole rest in it shouldn't be playing the music. And any rests longer than 1 measure would be part of a multiple measure rest anyway, so it isn't as if someone's going to have to look at a string of whole-rests in 3/1 time.

--
David H. Bailey