Andrew Stiller:

> Even more sensible would be to leave empty measures empty--as in fact
> has been done in most music of the last fifty years and more.

By this do you mean cutaway scores? If so, they not only leave the measure
empty but also remove the staff-lines as well. I would dispute the adjective
"most". Cutaway staves and empty empty bars have certainly been adopted in many
scores, but if you consider all styles I doubt it is most. Nor do I perceive
any consensus that it is "best practice".

Scores provide more options than extracted parts. Leaving empty measures empty
in an extracted part is a very bad idea, because an empty bar is ambiguous as
to whether it was a mistake or intentional. Even for recent compositions with
cutaway scores, the extracted parts usually deploy whole rests in single empty
measures.

BTW: Finale makes empty empty measures really easy. What is difficult is common
practice notation (for 4/2 and larger meters). The origin of this thread is
about how to reproduce this common practice in Finale, rather than what the
convention should be or might become. I for one think Finale ought to be able
to reproduce a score by Brahms as easily as one by Stockhausen.