On 10/26/06 6:13 AM, "dhbailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes, and the process can be made even more accurate if several things
> are done:
>
> 1) the midi file is quantized in a sequencer program -- PowerTracksPro
> is a very inexpensive sequencer from www.pgmusic.com which can do this.
> The quantization needs to be done to a level where notational accuracy
> can be gotten, even if the actual sound of the midi file isn't what is
> desired.  Such as removing the swing from a jazz file, and quantizing to
> 8th notes.
>
> 2) the quantization settings in Finale match those used in step 1, so
> that Finale will know how to deal with the data it will find in the midi
> file.  Since Finale shouldn't have to actually apply any quantization to
> the file (assuming that step 1 was done), it won't have a chance to
> screw things up.

If I remember MIDI import correctly (and it's been a long time since I've
used it, so I may not be correct), it will also save a lot of work if the
note values in the MIDI file are long enough to represent the note you want.
For example, I seem to remember that notes meant to be quarter notes where
the key was actually pressed for a shorter amount of time (perhaps because
one was using a sustain pedal or something) would get imported as an eighth
note and an eighth rest.

In most sequencers, this involves dragging the end of the "piano-roll"
notation to be closer to where it technically should end, given the note
value you want it to be once imported.  Can be a PITA (and will also mess up
the playback of the actual MIDI file to a degree), but probably less of a
PITA than changing eighth-note-eighth-rest combos to full quarter notes once
in Finale.

-- Mike