I am far from an expert in this area, but this has been my experience. When I use Finale/Mac's built in .pdf creation, it works well for other Mac users, but when I send those pdfs to PC users, there are staff lines and other things missing. I have cured this by saving the material as a ps file (often with multi page documents) and then using distiller to convert it to pdf. This has worked consistently well for me.

Chuck