Mark D Lew wrote:

On Nov 16, 2006, at 4:35 AM, dhbailey wrote:

Here is the quote -- particularly note the final sentence:
How long does a copyright last?
Copyrights in works created since 1978 will last for 70 years after the death of the work's author. If the work is what the copyright law calls a "work made for hire," created by employees within the scope of their employment, the work will last for 95 years from the work's first publication or 120 years from its creation, whichever is shorter. The provisions on copyrights in works created and published before 1978 are complicated, but, as a general rule, the copyright in those works will last 95 years. Anything first published in 1923 or earlier, though, is in the public domain.

They may know their law, but they sure do need an editor. I'm sure they meant to say "before 1923", not "in 1923 or earlier".

Works published in 1923 are still covered.

They may not know their law -- I did send a message to the only contact available on the web-site asking about that reply, since it was pointed out to me that the Sonny Bono act went into effect before the date that I had thought, so that copyrights which should have expired in 1998 (those of works from 1923) were extended for 20 more years.

I haven't heard back and will post here what the reply was when/if it ever comes.

--
David H. Bailey